News:

Remember folks Kureha One hops IPs every 72hrs so try clearing your DNS if you can't find the page.

Main Menu

Visual Novel translation status (updated on October 20th 2013)

Started by Mana, November 09, 2010, 10:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geckoey Lurker

There is Supplement, which is just a fandisc for Muv-Luv.
Then there are the TDAs (within the Chronicles), it follows after the end of Unlimited.
Again, there's Altered Fable which is Alternative's Fandisc. There's also Total Eclipse, a side story off Alternative.
I think there are two other fandiscs whose names I forgot, but one of them is just for the strategy game from Altered Fable, while the other one contain a side-story for Chronicles' Marimo, it also has an entirely different story set completely apart from the usual despair shenanigans from Unlimited/Alternative which also have its own side-story included in it.

All-in-all... yes, there are quite a few Muv-Luv games.
I don't think I'll ever go and play through all of them, personally, unless someone convince me otherwise.

Nils

i think they overused the series .... it should have ended at the alternative with only 1 or 2 fan-discs with some extra cenarios ... yeah, the alternative world is really cool, with the war against the beta and all that, but after playing muv-luv, then the extra and alternative right after, the serie kinda lost it's shine to me ...

well, theres always some people that love something, no matter how overused it is ... xD

KoutoutekiSonzai

"What!? You found a girl that cute in a cemetary? You must be one hell of a necromancer!"
-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

"What!? You found a girl that cute in a cemetary? You must be one hell of a necromancer!"
-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

Nils

it's still a long wait for grisaia no meikyuu ... maybe i will learn japanese before they finish the tl ... not a bad idea ...

Geckoey Lurker

If you are willing and want to learn the language, then definitely do it regardless of that. It's definitely worth it.

But, if koestl is as fast as he was with Kajitsu, both Meikyuu and Rakuen will have been released before you reach a level where you can read them without needing to dict-crawl through them. d:

Edit:
Obviously, that's if you look at it optimistically, and implying nothing block/greatly slowdown the TLs and whatnot that could happen.

Nils

any advice for the learning thing ?? where i live there isn't a single school for japanese ... sadness

Geckoey Lurker

Here's stuff I posted on another forum because I'm fairly lazy:

I've since then deleted my useless blog, and thus the above link leads nowhere.

Basically, it recommended TextFugu for beginners that are willing to spend some money for a general guide, further more it also recommended WaniKani if you are willing to spend a tad more monthly but for Kanji (and a chunk of vocab).

Otherwise, it also suggested free alternatives, such as Tae-Kim's or Ixrec's Guide for Grammar-stuff, (I can't vouch for the latter, though,) as well as IMABI for people who wants a more linguistic-focused guide.

As for Kanji, the free alternatives are things such as Kanjidamage or Memrise.
The former might put some off as it might not seem serious, but I know it helped at least one person. The latter can be for more than just Kanji, too.
These two are much less... huh... 'controlled?' than the above ones, but they should work with enough perseverance.

Aaand as always, before starting anything, I recommend learning Hiragana, first and foremost. Here, are, a couple, of links, to help you.
Katakana can wait, but don't forget to work those up too eventually.
Don't be afraid of Kanji, too. They might seem to complicate the language more than anything else, but it's quite the contrary actually, from experience I'd say that the combination of the Kana and Kanji actually make the whole thing even easier, but that could be just me.

I've also heard that Japanese the Manga Way is surprisingly deep, covering at the minimum N5 and maybe even N4, but might go a bit too fast for true beginners.

There are also a couple other sites that I feel a little bit too lazy to describe, so here they are: Lang-8, /r/LearnJapanese, Genki I & its 'sequels', Anki, and KanjiBox.

Now, these aren't the only sites, books and all that there is. You're gonna want to go around as you learn and find things that helps YOU better.

All the helping sites aside.
Experiment, try out, but just don't forget that most importantly you wanna be involved in the language, and without any English-crutches as soon as possible.
Drop the anime subtitles unless you genuinely just wanna enjoy the story (this shouldn't detriment you unless you NEVER drop them)
If you aren't already, start watching Dramas. In fact, try getting Japanese subtitles for your favorite shows and use them.
Stop using J-E/E-J dictionaries and switch to J-J ones as soon as you've got enough Japanese down.
Start hunting Manga/LN/VNs in their original form and attempt to read them this way.
Attempt to read the Japanese news from time to time if not daily.
Find other learners and try to talk to each other in Japanese, or better, find a native to talk with in Japanese.
Try to write something entirely in Japanese, doesn't matter about what.
And much more.

The start might be the hardest part, you won't really understand much of anything that you see and/or hear, but as long as you study alongside (or that you're stuck IN Japan for at least a year or more), then your understand will slowly pick up as you go.

To add to that, I haven't taken a single class for Japanese yet, and so far, doesn't seem to have been needed.
In fact, you can probably learn a lot without spending a single cent and without ever leaving your home, but you might want to as it could help.

Edit:
As for the ones interested in translating from Japanese to whatever other language, then... I'd say to go ahead and do it, however, unless you are at least near native level in Japanese and minimum have a decent grasp of your target language (+ an editor that's good at it to fix it up for ya), then don't publicly release any of your TLs. Ideally, I'd say you wanna be a bit above native-level in both languages, but it really vary. Just don't forget that just because you can read something and get a crystal-clear understanding of it, it doesn't mean that you can accurately translate it. But practice makes perfect.

KoutoutekiSonzai

Geckoey is right on all counts.  It's important to keep in mind that writing ability is just as important as your translation ability.  In terms of translation ability it can vary depending on which VN you want to translate.  Some Japanese writers use flowery or archaic terms that are hard to translate.  Cross Channel is a good example of this.  Writing ability, however, is a whole other can of worms.  The translation of Grisaia no Kajitsu for an excellent example.  The translator had first rate writing skills for that project.  Also, if you want to translate to practice your Japanese, then that's cool in my book.  I don't care what a person's reasons are for translating, since it means enriching the community with more projects.  Machine translation projects don't count though and should be sponged and purged and, if need be, blasted from the surface of the earth.
-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

CFreak

Argh, it's been way too long since there was any progress with the Majikoi games. Now we have 3 partially translated Majikoi games that seem to have stalled. And I was really looking forward to the Azumi branch of Majikoi A too.

I wonder what will happen first; the route being translated or me learning enough Japanese that I can read it untranslated (in ca. 4 years or so, if I'm being very optimistic).

Geckoey Lurker

In my case, I learned enough Japanese that I can read what I want untranslated, and it's only been near a year and half (would be 2 years, but I paused my actual learning for half a year). I'm still dict-crawling a bit, but I'm reading at a decent pace where it's pretty enjoyable. Cases varies obviously. It's only getting better and better, too.

I gotta admit though, the Majikoi games haven't had much luck with their translations, heh, at least they have actual partial patches out, for better or for worse.

Edit:
Nvm that VNs have the luck of having text hookers, which can help immensely with the "dict-crawling" aspect of it.
You kinda... wanna drop this as soon as you can, though, don't let it become a crutch.