News:

Official forum emails are from kouduki_sinon@yahoo.com.tw, but please don't send emails there, mostly likely you won't get a reply.

Main Menu

About Jast...

Started by Sundae, February 02, 2011, 07:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sundae

Is licensing a finished/nearly-finished fan-translated VN becomes a boom lately?
Now they go for Eien no Aselia, the backport one, the same as the one dakkodango translated. Yes they won't be using the EXACT translation, but they'll use the dakkodango one as a guide. Which means, you'll get more or less the same quality of dakkodango release :|

It'll be good if they start translating the fandisc (spi-tan) and seinarukana, but it'll take another 10 years to release them.

I really hope they stop this kind of attitude :|
I mean, how lazy jast's  translator can get :|

Kureha

Smart plan to save money, and maximize profits, let the fantranslators do most of the work for you. Rake in the profits.
[url="https://ko-fi.com/chi_chan"]
[/url]

sazabi

Indeed from a business perspective, its more cost efficient working this way. Besides that how many projects does this make now, that jast has taken from fan translations?

Mana

I really hope they stop this kind of attitude :|
I mean, how lazy jast's  translator can get :|

You talk as if they have dedicated translators. Their release rate doesn't justify that, which is why they make deals with fan translators, so that both of them can get some benefit out of it: JAST doesn't pay as much as they would to a professional translator and the fan translation team gets paid for something that they have been doing for their own enjoyment and/or to share it with others. I know that some fan translators work as professional translators, but in this cases, it's this deal or no deal. In the long term, if this partnerships work, it will work in our favor, since more people will be interested in translating VNs and more VNs will be officially released.

Smart plan to save money, and maximize profits, let the fantranslators do most of the work for you. Rake in the profits.

Rake in the profits of a title that's been translated for more than a year (when it's eventually released) and that everyone interested on spending money on it has already bought the Japanese edition? It will be funny to watch that. What worked in theory with Osadai and Demonbane (we still have to see any results) would have worked with Aselia if it had been done a year ago. And the fan translators didn't do any work for JAST, Xuse did and there is no doubt that JAST will have to pay for it, which makes their margin a lot smaller than what they would get with a fan translation deal. It's made even worse by the fact that it's the all ages version, which both JAST and MG admit to barely have any sales.

laplacian

Well you're forgeting some factors Mana.

-Otakus love fancy extras. If Jast manages to get us a nice looking boxset with an artbook ( they already confirmed that ) and maybe some other small extra, I can imagine people willing to buy the game even though they already played it.

-Some people buy games because they like them, although they already pirated them before.

-Some people buy games to support the company making them. In this case buying the game might enable us to purchase another Xuse title down the road.

-A lot of Jast their audience might have never heard of the fan translation. I for example would never have noticed that game if I hadn't lurked on this board. A lot of fan translations aint that easy to find, unless you find a source of information which keeps you updated on new stuff.

Mana

And you forget that people who already bought the game will hardly spend more money on it, again. The only people who will buy it are the ones who don't import for some reason and the ones who are completely oblivious about what's going on around them. As for the extras, it's their only way out.

Sundae

You talk as if they have dedicated translators.

They don't !?  :o
that's news to me. Well, me and my ignorance...

And you forget that people who already bought the game will hardly spend more money on it, again.

And the fact that you get free english download if you already bought from j-list doesn't really help the profit margin =I

Why aren't they try to translate Yumina or Baldr Sky? I'll wait 5 years for both of them :D

Mana

Recent titles' licenses are more expensive.

mahou

Delays. That is my biggest and only problem with what Jast is doing. Fan translation is almost complete and out, then boom gotta wait months for their release which we still are waiting for ;p

sazabi

then months turn into years...

Yossarian762

You talk as if they have dedicated translators.

They don't !?  :o
that's news to me. Well, me and my ignorance...

Don't most translators work contract to contract? :P

Green_Tea

Psssht American working rights.

michelous

it sounds like demonbane and my girlfriend is president  should be ready in a few weeks

Mana

As if the EU was better, the Portuguese government is going to start a fund paid by the workers so that it's easier to fire them and to give them their severance pay.

Green_Tea

As if the EU was better, the Portuguese government is going to start a fund paid by the workers so that it's easier to fire them and to give them their severance pay.

lolllll I have pretty great work rights here.