News:

Remember folks Kureha One hops IPs every 72hrs so try clearing your DNS if you can't find the page.

Main Menu

[VN] Steins;Gate

Started by Ivan, September 16, 2011, 04:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geckoey Lurker

Yes, one of the "leader" (I think?) got an e-mail from JAST a few months ago (in November I think), but didn't ask the opinion of anyone on the team and just ignored it if my memory serve me right.

At the moment, I don't know what is going on, the project is on-hold and the editor/translator of team seems to be reediting and proofreading it. Otherwise.. everything is translated in the story, only thing not translated last I know were the tips and achievements, and the top-left calls boxes.

I hope it won't go on infinite hiatus, because it seriously doesn't deserve that. On the bright side, there is still the unedited patch out for it, but.. yeah.

Also, I did read somewhere where Steam themselves even contacted the same person about it, ignored again, I would fall in love with ValvE again if that ever happened though.

mahou

Most likely scenario; JAST is negotiating with them to do an official release.

Geckoey Lurker

For whoever interested, the project's TL said a few things about 3 days ago.

And on the same day, "Antheon" posted this, which say the project is currently officialy on-hold.

So far, JAST seems to be out of the deal, but many things could've happened in 3 days.

What I'm curious about is why Steam tried to contact the translation team for a "playable demo" instead of the company itself, while they translate the stuff, they still don't own the rights to do so without Nitroplus/np5's permission, well, I don't do good in political stuff and laws so I might've missed something and I guess they probably would've contacted them in the end. Would be nonetheless nice if Steam began selling VNs, though I prefer having a box and a CD for my VNs.

Blanchimont

The first part for the patch (MF link, with cosplay, page 2) has gone up in smoke...actually not, for some reason the questionmark(?) has gone missing from the url. So if you want to download part 1, change "/qmr1s6gq06dpqk5"  to "/?qmr1s6gq06dpqk5"

Edit; Last post(1/18/12) by that TL. Umh...yeah...lot of things can happen in 3 days...

Geckoey Lurker

Catched that ? back and putted it back where it belongs, no idea how it escaped me.  ???

And.. well, I guess that was to be expected. Just like he said, meanwhile, the impatient ones can just get the unedited files and do with it and the patient ones will have to wait until JAST get it out. If everything go well, I can only see good things in that, even more if Steam take interest in it, though, just as someone in the comments said, they probably won't touch the Eroge-side too much.

Haters gonna hate, and maybe I'm fine with it because I already completed the VN, but hey. =/

I'll just hope everything goes well, or at least without too many problems.

Mana

Nothing that wasn't said before on /jp/, but no one believed it.

zachariahm

Hey guys, was having a problem running the game and was wondering if someone could help me out. I was able to install everything fine and got past some of the places a lot of people seemed to have trouble with, but every time I get past the line in chapter 2 where Okabe says "What's the possibility of that actually happening?" the game crashes as Daru's face changes expressions. I've tried multiple patches from various (including the recent one with the cosplay patch v.0.2a in this thread) and several clean installs but I can't seem to get around it. Just to address the obvious questions, yes its running version 1.20, I'm in Japanese locale, and I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. If any one has any ideas or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it :)

Clade

Hey guys, was having a problem running the game and was wondering if someone could help me out. I was able to install everything fine and got past some of the places a lot of people seemed to have trouble with, but every time I get past the line in chapter 2 where Okabe says "What's the possibility of that actually happening?" the game crashes as Daru's face changes expressions. I've tried multiple patches from various (including the recent one with the cosplay patch v.0.2a in this thread) and several clean installs but I can't seem to get around it. Just to address the obvious questions, yes its running version 1.20, I'm in Japanese locale, and I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. If any one has any ideas or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it :)

Try starting the game fresh from the start, I had the same problem because I had old patches and when I installed the new ones my saves would create errors like that so now that you have 1.20 and the latest english patch just start fresh and not from a save.

Hope that helps.

Blanchimont

Try starting the game fresh from the start, I had the same problem because I had old patches and when I installed the new ones my saves would create errors like that so now that you have 1.20 and the latest english patch just start fresh and not from a save.

Hope that helps.
Steins;Gate save files are created in the same place as with Chaos;Head;
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Nitroplus\STEINS;GATE

If SG acts the same way as CH, an uninstall won´t delete that folder/saves. So when doing a fresh install, navigate there beforehand and delete that STEINS;GATE folder...

Geckoey Lurker

Yep, S;G acts the same way as C;H does, the saves does stay intact even after uninstalling.

The 1.20 Patch is supposed to fix most of the crashes around chapter 2 though, I didn't test by loading any saves so Clad is probably right.
Try deleting all of your saves, then restart from the beginning and see if it still does it. (Skip button will help)

If it still crash, guess you can try doing a full reinstall; deleting the saves and wipping out the steins;gate folder since the english patch will remain even after uninstalling.

Also, incase people doesn't know how to access the appdata folder, click Windows + R and type in %appdata%

Edit : Appears Nitro+ is already interested in the deal. JAST provided a demo to Steam and still awaiting news from them.

Blanchimont

There are also several reports of a crash at the end of True Ending. For obvious reasons that might take some time to confirm, so interested to hear about others' experiences, whether it went fine or not?
Might be fluke but the error screens I've seen of it posted have all been in French/Spanish, I think. Strange Locale conflict(as they had to be all in Japanese Locale even to get there...)?

Geckoey Lurker

That is.. weird.

I doubt it have anything to do with the O.S. since mine is in French, though I am in Japanese Local 24/7.

But there is one thing I do get, loading randomly make me crash from time to time. I tried to reproduce it to see what could cause it, but it really seem completely random.  ???

Now that I think about it it might have something to do with the scripts and/or font, because everytime I load there is black bars on my text where there is supposed to be spaces instead which disappears once I move to the next text.

Blanchimont

Had a look at the .bat. Nice and concise :)

...but, just a small errata;
  REM Updating to 1.20..
   cd 120Update
   copy /y *.* "../../"
   REM Done!

REM Now patching to unedited english localization..
   cd ../Translations
   copy /y STEINSGATE-patched.exe "../../"
   copy /y nss.npa "../../"
   REM Done!

First 4 lines copy all content of 120Update to the main folder.
Next 5 lines apply the translation patch.
Contents of 120Update folder;
nss.npa
STEINSGATE.EXE
system.npa
...Now, can you spot the issue? (or if impatient, look into the spoiler below ;) )
[spoiler]nss.npa(v.1.20) from 120Update gets copied to main folder, but is never applied as it gets overwritten with nss.npa from the translation patch(which is based on an earlier version(v1.00)).
What IS applied is system.npa(v1.20) which overwrites system.npa(v1.00) in main folder.
^Strangely the game seems to work with this mix... But the nss contains the texts and dialog and code, so what was it that wasn't applied?

And STEINS;GATE.EXE(v1.20) from 120Update is applied but is never actually used (same fate that would have befallen the original which got overwritten, STEINS;GATE.EXE(v1.00)

I tried replacing the nss.npa with the one from the update patch, and the game works (though as it doesn't contain the translation the text is in Japanese...).
^So it SHOULD be possible to apply the update too, by first, with nipa2, decompiling both nss.npas (TL and update one), editing manually, and recompiling it back afterwards. Question is HOW?

There are basically two approaches;

1. Copy/paste the translated texts to the update one and comment out the Japanese.
-VERY slow. But as you're not touching the codebase etc if not TOO slobby, low chance of something going wrong...

2. Change whatever differs in the translated one with updated code from the update one.
-Considerably faster, but.. the chances of errata(leads inevitably to the tedious job of tracking down those errors in a second round)...is, well... ...sky-high...[/spoiler]

Geckoey Lurker

I've still have to figure out how exactly the engine work, but while it's odd.. it seems to work though there probably is some conflict somewhere that I have yet to find, but maybe that would explain the loading crash.

If I'm thinking right, the Patched.exe borrow from the Original .exe in a way or another (I'm probably just being delusional about that though), and it seems that most of the problems were actually in system.npa. With my current programming knowledge I can't do much and I am unable to hack open the files in the nss.npa even after decompilation just yet. If you have any clue on how I could go on read those files, that would awesome.. the best I can get is opening the files and still see the Japanese Text, but the order is completely messy. Hmm, I'll try to see the differences between the English nss.npa and 1.20 one.

I can even less do much about the .exe, I'm hacking off my foot off to find out. =P

kirby2096

Is anyone else experiencing the game crashing whenever you try to open the TIPS menu screen with the automated patcher?