News:

Official forum emails are from kouduki_sinon@yahoo.com.tw, but please don't send emails there, mostly likely you won't get a reply.

Main Menu

[JP][WN][PDF] Omake no Tensei-sha

Started by Ted Crilly, February 11, 2024, 01:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Crilly

NO COVER

Title
Omake no Tensei-sha

Associated Names
- Omake Reincarnation
- オマケの転生者

Novels Updates (NU) Link
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/omake-no-tensei-sha

Translators and Translation Site Links
hot choccy translation - https://sites.google.com/view/hotchoccytranslation/titles/omake-no-tensei-sha
Red Translation - https://sites.google.com/view/red-translations/chapters
Let'sHopeThisWorks - https://www.scribblehub.com/series/642849/omake-no-tenseisha
Just for Fun - https://justforfun58.wordpress.com/
Luminary Translations - https://luminarynovels.com/novel/omake-no-tensei-sha/

Source Link (Syosetu)
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n9158ge

NU Description
Aihara Runa was a person who had been living in hell of misfortune. One day she found herself in a strange stage, apparently her soul was reaped without permission and sold at an auction to gods from another world along with her 28 classmates. But there was a trouble, it seems that Aihara's soul was extremely smelly and stinky. Instead of getting a buyer, she was thrown away and with her soul in danger of disappearing.

However, when her soul was about disappear, she met an unnamed goddess who claimed herself as a god's vessel. The goddess said that she can help Aihara to get reincarnated but with one condition, that is to bring her along and get reincarnated together. Aihara who was about disappeared accepted the goddess' condition and got reincarnated successfully as Emmy. But apparently, the hard life still continued even after reincarnated too....

If there's no food, then let's get some bugs!!! Let's just enjoy this hard life together with the reliable partner [Omake-sama] inside my head and have fun instead.

As Emmy managed to survive while watching and getting involved in the events of another cheat reincarnations, she grew into an irregular. This is a story about Emmy, a soul who managed to survive from disposal by gods. However, she doesn't know that her reincarnation did not list in fate's archive and unconsciously broke the gods' scenario one after another.

Download Links (on MediaFire)

PDF (if you just want to read this WN)
Omake no Tenseisha - Volume 1-4, Chapters 1-45
https://www.mediafire.com/file/x283tbavmacql59/Omake_no_Tensei-sha_-_Volume_1-4%252C_Chapters_1-45.pdf/file

Omake no Tenseisha - Volume 5, Chapters 46-76
https://www.mediafire.com/file/a2utkrtatz3tlhi/Omake_no_Tensei-sha_-_Volume_5%252C_Chapter_46-76.pdf/file

Zip (if you want to create your own pdf/epub/whatever of this WN)
Omake no Tenseisha - ALL (all the pdfs and associated sources files of the above downloads)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/i5ue0y6ywtxk62o/Omake_no_Tensei-sha_-_All.zip/file

----------------------
Notes
As with my other uploads, I created this pdf for my own use, and I'm sharing it for those who might also want to read this WN in a pdf format. And as before, I've also included a zip that contains the source file I used to create the pdf with. I don't use epubs myself, but anyone who wants an epub can use my source file to create one. And if anyone wants to create an epub and post it here using my source, then please go right ahead. More options for people is never a bad thing.

This WN is a web novel only, with neither a manga nor light novel adaptation, meaning there's no artwork. The current translator has an AI generated cover on their site, but using AI art for a cover gets a firm no from me.

The pdf covers chapters 1-45, which covers the first 4 arcs/volumes (the 4th being just 3 chapters). The translation is currently up to chapter 118, which is into the start of arc/volume 8. As it stands I do intend to upload further chapters of this WN, but it might take me a while because... I need a break from it.

The Line Spacing
I was going to have a section here explaining the weird line spacing, but it came off as way too much like me bitching. So I'll settle for an extended "too long, didn't type" instead. Although even the shorter version is still just me having a good ol' moan.

TL;DT re: The weird line spacing - The author uses line spaced formatting for everything, often unnecessarily so IMO, and way over the top on times. It sort-of works as a formatting option for a single page webpage, but doesn't work so well for a multi-page pdf. eg. a long gap for dramatic effect loses its impact when the text immediately jumps to the start of the text on a new page. Plus extra line spaces are often added by translation sites to stop aggregator scraping, or so I've heard, and can also unintendedly creep in when extracting the text.

I tried (poorly) to retain the author's line spacing where I could, and while trying to tweak it to accommodate the transition from a single page to multi-page. But this become tedious very quickly, so I gave up at certain points. Basically, I compiled this over multiple evenings, and at the start of the evening I'd be putting more effort in than at the end, and by which time I'd become fed up of tediously checking the source's line spacing for every line. I create these pdfs for myself to read, and when it's taking me ten times longer to create a pdf than it does to read it, then there's clearly something wrong. I've also added a line space between every line when there wasn't one originally because... that's my own preference for reading from pdfs. And as mentioned, I create these pdfs first and foremost for myself.

So compiling this has been a nightmare all round, and hence why I need a break before tackling the rest of the available chapters. If/when I re-read these chapters in the future, I'll likely re-format the entire thing so that it's consistent throughout. But that's strictly a job for future me, because current me has certainly had enough. And mentioning the line spacing issue to answer any "What the hell is up with the whacky line spacing" questions that anyone might ask.

The Translations
This WN has had 5 different translators so far [Edit - and most recently, 1 pure ChatGPT]. The first translator (1-30) appears to have been an actual translator, and it shows, with the only problem I found being some missing punctuation. But the second and third translators (31-30 and 40-45) were both MTL editors, and that shows as well. They're not unreadable by any means, but I had to re-MTL+edit some of the second translator's paragraphs because they made no sense at all. And both were what I'd call MTL-editors who don't care, and don't care because they didn't take the time to check and retain the naming (terminology etc.) that the first, and an actual translator used (and I suspect the second one was pure MTL on times). So I've hopefully done that job for them and gone with the names the first translator used. Along with correcting the usual pronoun mistakes that are a hallmark of MTL-edits. Although in both cases I may well have missed some instances.

Although the good news is the current translator, who takes over on chapter 58, appears to be an actual translator again. Or at least a skim of their chapters, and the T/N notes at the end of some of them, indicate they likely know Japanese. So even if it is another MTL-edit, it'll hopefully be an MTL assisted translation, and not just a pure MTL with some token editing. Edit - They weren't, but whoever did chapters 58-91 did put some effort into their MTL editing. But from 92 inwards I think it's pure ChatGPT.
----------------------

And if you're a fan of the MC's personality from "I'm a Spider, So What?", then there's a good chance you'll enjoy this one. As while the stories aren't too similar, or at least not yet (so don't quote me), the MC in this might well be Kumoko's long lost sister because they have very similar personalities.

Like I said, I will be updating this at some point, and probably when I stop having nightmares about being chased along a line space by a giant line space.

Edit: Added Volume 5

helenerjing

NOVEL INDEX: [url="http://www.vn-meido.com/k1/index.php?topic=10385.0"]http://www.vn-meido.com/k1/index.php?topic=10385.0[/url]

Ozmadeus99

Thanks for sharing these~ The novels great. Here's hoping for some illustration, just to see MC's appearance

Bread Crumbs

Thanks mate. Totally waiting for your update as the novel is nice, though totally understandable that you won't update it in the near future as GIANT lines are scary
And then, there was a noodle. So beautiful yet so poisonous...

Takusaka

You don't know how much I love this novel, thank you so much for this!!

fajar

Epub Version 1-118

https://mir.cr/1HIQROLE

Ted Crilly

Added Volume 5 to the OP, and updated the zip file to contain both sets of pdfs and source files.

Seems I ended up lying about needing a break. It was my original intention, but this is the best WN I've read in ages, and when you're reading a great novel, and there are more chapters available to read, then you need an Emmy-chan level of determination to refrain from reading them. Which I don't have, and so I ended up ploughing on.

And compiling volume 5 wasn't as bad as 1-4 because I knew what to expect re: the line spacing. So I went in with a plan this time, rather than going in blind like I did at start. I'm not entirely happy with the job I've made of it, but not unhappy with it either. Like it is with everything, there's always some room for improvement if you had infinite time available.

Oh and I would recommend reading the pdf via vertical scrolling, because the author uses line spacing combined with the scrolling effect to simulate a slow reveal or for dramatic effect etc. And I've tried to be faithful to that effect whenever possible. Meaning scrolling down to reveal the next line of text creates a better reading experience than flipping to the next page does. Because flipping instantly reveals the next page of text, nullifying the point of the author's line spacing.

I have no idea when I will be uploading Volume 6, though, because...

[Mega Bitching Mode Enabled]
I was on course to finish volume 6 (chapter 115) sometime over the coming weekend, as I was managing to do a good ten chapters per evening. But then a few hours ago chapter 92+ came along, and ripped that timetable to shreds.

Chapters 46-76 are all MTL-edits, with the 4th translator's MTL-edit, Chapters 51-57, being a definite grade lower than the MTL-edits from the 2nd+3rd translators. I've hopefully fixed any glaring errors, and edited names for consistency. I changed some of the skill names from the first pdf to what I think is a more fitting translation used by the 5th translator. e.g. Grasshopper > Flying Locust, as the latter sounds more suitable for a skill an assassin created. Although I had to place the fixing bar fairly low because if I placed it too high then I'd simply end up rewording most of the text, and after putting the source through a variety of MTL sites to make sure I was rewording the text based on what the author actually wrote. But if I'm going to do that I may as well re-MTL-edit the whole thing from scratch, so I had to draw the line somewhere, and drew it fairly low.

Sadly the "good news" I alluded to in the OP about the current translator being an actual translator turned out to be too hopeful, as they were an MTL-editor as well. Although probably the best out of the MTL-editors this WN has seen, assuming the 1st translator was an actual translator. As I did get the impression for chapters 58-91 that the person was putting an effort in, and did care about the novel. Although I noticed an increasing number of little errors as I got closer to chapter 91, perhaps indicating a lack of time.

If you check the Novel Updates page you'll see there was 3.5 month gap between chapters 91+92, and I'm certain during this time the translator got too busy, quit, went AWOL et .et., because from chapter 92 onwards the translation is a mess. It's the same group, but it's obvious it's not the same translator. And the translation has hallmarks of being ChatGPT in places, or even entirely, because parts of the translation change from the usual Japanese style of having short lines and paragraphs, to having much larger paragraphs, and caused by ChatGPT merging all the short lines into a single paragraph.

I've found ChatGPT translations to be very hit and miss myself. They can give a good readable translation, but too often they abridge the content way too much by assuming certain parts of the text are unneeded. And from having run a few source chapters from 93+ through the usual MTL options, and comparing it to the translation, that looks to have happened here. I'm no ChaptGPT expert, but I get the strong impression that instead of translating the original Japanese into English, it rewords the original text into English, which is not the same thing.

And if that wasn't bad enough the translation of chapter 93 is missing about 20% of the source, or about 3-4 pdf pages worth. A section towards the end is just completely missing. And makes me think it was a casualty of a free daily ChatGPT limit, and whoever was doing it just started from the wrong place the next day, perhaps confused by the line spacing, causing them to start from the wrong large line-spaced gap. And there was another chunk missing earlier on in chapter 93 as well, which I put back via doing my own MTL-edit, and which I spent more far than 30 seconds on, unlike whoever the fuck did chapters 92+, who likely didn't spend 30 seconds per chapter.

So from chapter 92+ I not only have to do the typesetting, sort out the mess of a translation made by ChatGPT, and also check every line of the translation against the source to make sure nothing has been omitted. And the latter made all the more taxing because I need to pick apart ChatGPT's huge paragraphs and turn them back into the original style of short lines, since only then can I compare them to the source to see if anything is missing. On top of finding a way to acquire some faith in the translation, because as it stands, I think it might be worse than a pure GT or DeepL MTL.

Whoever is in change of doing these ChatGPT's should be doing all this checking before they post them, but honestly, it's clear as day they don't give a fucking shit about this novel. And clear due to the mass prevalence of "Emi" instead of Emmy from chapter 92+. Along with all the other names changes, and "Command" instead of Commander, "Omakesama" instead of Omaka-sama, and the most laughable of all "individual" instead of something like monster. "The individual slashed at the guard with its claws, but the guard managed to fend off the individual's attack". That's not an extract by the way, but you get my point. It's pathetic, and there are mistakes EVERYWHERE, and mistakes that can be spotted instantly just by reading the damn thing before posting it and trying to pass it off as a translation.

And I strongly suspect that from chapter 92 onwards everything is just unedited ChatGPT, and so any chance of a decent translation is entirely in the lap of the ChatGPT God. I just hope they weren't too busy doing an Isekai Broadcast to sprinkle some luck on whatever the ChapGPT happened to vomit up.

So because of all that my current timetable for volume 6 is now... truthfully, no idea. My current next task is MTL-editing the missing part of chapter 93, and which is at least one evening's worth of work by itself. And I don't even want to think how long it'll take to pick apart every ChaptGPT paragraph bit by bit. To say my motivation has plummeted because of the ChatGPT bullshit would be an understatement, so I really will be taking a break this time before doing any more.

Maybe Emmy-chan really is a cursed child, and has cursed her own story to only be forever burdened with MTL-editors of varying levels of giving-a-shit.
[Mega Bitching Mode Disabled]

This is such a good novel, and it's an absolute travesty that it hasn't been licensed. And given its a few years old now, chances are fading that it ever will be. All the shitty isekai-by-numbers that gets licensed year on year, and yet you have a great WN like this just sitting there slowly growing old. Bet if the MC was male, and had a harem, it'd been licensed years ago. Likewise if Emmy had been reincarnated as a villainess in an Otome game. Guess this WN simply doesn't tick any of the currently trending genre boxes for it to be picked up.

Wonder if a real, proper translator will one day stumble across this WN, realise how good it is, and decide to give it the proper translation is sorely deserves. Is there a God of Translators I can pray to?

blackkat

Now if only there was an Epub file....

Ted Crilly

Now if only there was an Epub file....@ blackkat - That's one of the precise reasons I include the source text file, so those who want an epub can create their own. It's easy to do if you have a text file, and there are loads of online guides to help you. For example, if you have a Google account, then upload the source text file to Google Docs, and then download as epub. That's pretty much it. And by creating your own you can easily make any changes you might want like font type, line spacing, and whatever other preferences you have. If you're downloading an epub someone else has made, or pdf for that matter, you're either stuck with their preferences, or have a less easier job ahead of you if you want to make changes.

And to answer the question of 'if it's so easy why don't I provide epubs?', because I don't use epubs, and because I provide what's needed for anyone to easily make their own for whoever wants one. And a task that's easy enough for anyone to do, and learn to do, for themselves.

Arcene

Why the heck isn't this series licensed? And there are currently 25 arcs!? First WN series I've been compelled to read and I don't even mind the MTL edits. It's like Spider + Weakest Tamer + Villainess 99, but it's as brutal as all of them  combined, and it has enough of it's own spin on things to keep it fresh.

Ozmadeus99

This novel was like telling me "This is what actually happened to those cheat isekai-ed MC and the truth of their almighty gods!!". I have mixed feelings whenever I tried to start reading isekai story after reading this novel, especially villainess/ otome game isekai genre. Seriously, I can't see them the same way anymore. That aside, the plot of this novel is really really great. Misfortune always comes to the MC but it made me want to cheer the MC along the way. I'd like to read past chapter 118 but I don't have the courage to read through MTL which most likely gave me migrain

Ted Crilly

Why the heck isn't this series licensed?@ Arcene - It simply isn't popular, and WN licensing is a straight up popularity contest. Quality is irrelevant. Not that sure how the rating system on Syosetu works but if you check the "evaluation" points for this novel on there, and then the evaluation points of the popular novels, you'll see at least a 100k / 5x difference. And there's 1000s of WNs on there vying for the title of most popular Idol Novel. So it doesn't matter how good a novel is, unless it's popular no publisher will touch it, because most popular light novels were popular web novels before it. And popular means hitting the current trends of the readers. Harem, villainess, cute girls, cooking slice of life. And this novel has none of that.

If Lord of the Rings didn't exist, and someone posted it on Syosetu, then that wouldn't stand a chance unless most of the characters were changed into busty girls and all part of Gandalf's harem, and Gandalf having been isekaid from Japan and constantly yearning for a bath and the foods from home.
I don't have the courage to read through MTL which most likely gave me migrain@ Ozmadeus99 - In my efforts to sort of chapters 93-115, which I've decided will mean re-MTL-editing from source because that ChatGPT translation abridges certain parts way too much, I've found RomajiDesu to marginally give the most readable MTL. Although like any MTL, it still derps up all the time, just less so than GT or DeepL I've found. And nowhere near as convenient as simply using a browser's translation options if you want to just read. It can also bug out because the < and > used to indicate Omake-sama's dialogue get interpreted as command line script, causing it to ignore the source text or abruptly stop. Although it's still an unedited MTL, so having headache tablets on standby is a given.
https://www.romajidesu.com/translator

Ozmadeus99

https://www.romajidesu.com/translator
This is actually a really great translator. Thanks :) . I've got many untranslated web novels that I wanted to read years ago and tried browser or online translator which only turn into garbage poem I can't understand. I've already given up since then and I got no time to learn japanese. Btw are you gonna continue to translate and compile it into epub/pdf? Honestly I don't even mind if its MTL using that translator

Raw:
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n9158ge

Edit:
I tried the translator a bit and it works good for a while until I got many error on some chapters

Ted Crilly

I tried the translator a bit and it works good for a while until I got many error on some chapters@ Ozmadeus99 - Yeh there are a few problems with trying to use it for reading instead of Google or DpL, and probably because it's not meant to be used for translating entire pages of text. When I was using it sometimes the English text wouldn't appear at all, but think that was an IP usage limit thingy because I could get it working again after using VPN. Other times something in the source text would cause the translation to be reduced to a single sentence, or just randomly stop like I mentioned.

So while I think it provides the best MTL out of the ones I've found, and likely because it is a dedicated JPN>ENG translator rather than multi-language, there are a few annoyances that make it impractical for reading. And very annoying if all you want to do is read.

There's no easy or perfect solution, sadly.

curlyplanet