News:

Although Kureha One is an international community, posts should be made in English. JP/CN/KR is only tolerated for topics where the original media was in JP/CN/KR.
Posting in other languages will result in account termination with extreme prejudice without notice.

Main Menu

Visual Novel translation status (updated on October 20th 2013)

Started by Mana, November 09, 2010, 10:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoutoutekiSonzai

"What!? You found a girl that cute in a cemetary? You must be one hell of a necromancer!"
-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

"What!? You found a girl that cute in a cemetary? You must be one hell of a necromancer!"
-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven

CFreak

I'm not really big on some of the games Mangagamer release, but I have to hand it to them, compared to Jast (and most fan translators) at least they have some damn progress on their titles.

Also it's interesting to see that the Steam release of Cho Dengeki Stryker both outsold the adult version and caused a boost in sales for it. Not sure that was a huge hurdle to clear, but I'd be happy if releasing all-ages versions of adult VNs on Steam could become a profitable venture for Mangagamer and Jast in addition to boosting the popularity of adult VNs. I guess it gives me some slight hope of seeing more (and better) VNs coming to the west.

Still going to keep up the Kanji practice though, even if it will most likely take me 10 years before I get to the point where I can read a VN decently. I'll have a huge backlog to go through at the retirement home  :P

Geckoey Lurker

I still say you shouldn't focus on Kanji so much, and rather prioritize vocabulary through reading/writing/speaking, while focusing actual studies a whole lot on grammar, but, once again, each to their own.

Anyway, gotta admit I'm not really paying attention to how fan/pro translations are advancing much anymore. For example, I was somehow unaware Cho was getting an all-age release on Steam until the day it got released.

CFreak

Yeah, I didn't know either until I saw it pop up on the New Releases part in Steam. My first thought was "no one is going to buy something like that on Steam at that price" but I guess I was wrong, which in this case is a good thing. Of course I don't expect it'll be a blockbuster that'll bring in the huge bucks, but every little bit helps.

I still say you shouldn't focus on Kanji so much, and rather prioritize vocabulary through reading/writing/speaking, while focusing actual studies a whole lot on grammar, but, once again, each to their own.

I'd love to study Japanese in earnest, but an hour of going through a few new kanji is about as much as I can muster after work most days as it's fairly easy on the brain; certainly a lot easier than French grammar was in college  :P

I'll probably wait with the vocabulary and grammar until I have spare vacation time and can really concentrate on it. I'm actually surprised at how easy learning (most of) the Kanji became once I got used to it. There's just... a lot of them.

KoutoutekiSonzai

-- Raven