News:

Official forum emails are from kouduki_sinon@yahoo.com.tw, but please don't send emails there, mostly likely you won't get a reply.

Main Menu

/jp/ VN Project Thread - The Warehouse

Started by Anon2, April 21, 2010, 07:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windows 2000 Professional

Novelty is pretty suck as far as functionality goes, it is easy to use, but as long as you can get someone who knows python and coding in general, Ren'py would be much better.

Whatever works though. You might not have codemonkey on the team for all I know.

Also in before this is a freehosted board or something gay like that.

Anon2

Novelty is pretty suck as far as functionality goes, it is easy to use, but as long as you can get someone who knows python and coding in general, Ren'py would be much better.

Whatever works though. You might not have codemonkey on the team for all I know.

Also in before this is a freehosted board or something gay like that.

I don't see what special functionality that would even be needed though; this is supposed to be a very simple and basic VN.
Also, the last /prog/ guy that was interested started looking at ONScripter, don't know if he's still interested though.
In any case, I don't have special preferences for or against any one engine.

anon

I'm still looking into it. There is an awful lot of faggotry going on with hijacking and changing things like characters and premise which hinders the overall productivity.

So far I was messing with ONScripter, which lacked the dll's for effects, so I built from source which was a waste of time except for internalizing SDL, still nothing. Are they supposed to be from an existing game or Japanese package?

Renpy looks far more modern than ONScripter, flashier, probably easier to throw some stuff together. But it uses java, or at least to develop stuff, and Python, which isn't bad but I'm more used to working low level and with libraries such as openGL. I'm skeptical about how seamless, slick, customized and professional a game would be. The examples of commercial games and free games they had on their site was less than encouraging.

The Novelty engine looked pretty damn good for a quick mockup. But then I had a look at the site, and you know what?  Almost all of the above concerns with Renpy, except this looks less advanced under the hood, limited portability if that was ever an issue. And it looks like the users/audience are weaboo as hell.

The fourth option would be that I could make one myself. As I mentioned, I'm experienced with openGL, enough to parse and display 3D model files in a program done from scratch so I could throw a simple VN engine together in a few weeks. The problem is it will take more time, it will be way more limited at the start, lack support for multiple platforms for a while, and be unfamiliar to most people. The upside would be that I could add effects, scripting features, improve performance drastically and have an eventual game that isn't associated with hundred of tacky VN wannabes just by using an engine.

On the other hand, while building a new engine would be a preferred eventual solution to any other projects, any one of the other three would probably suffice for the current goal. The question is, what do we want to do in the game, and functionally speaking, does our choice of engine support that?

Shanker

damnantion, Anon2. You beat me to it. Was bringing that pic here.

We ARE trying to fight the character jacking, and it's not gotten so bad. We have kept the two main females mainly on target.

Quick dump:

>Nina used to be a total weeaboo and made her own doujin, which were probably pretty well-drawn but were exactly what you'd expect from a twelve year old girl just getting into anime. She probably cooled down with the weeaboo tendencies, and for the most part does not admit to them, although if an obsuce joke is used, she might catch it and not be able to hold back a laugh. She's also held on to her old drawwings, and keeps them in her room. The protag can go to her apartment/other living space at some point and step on something before she flicks the lights on, and when he looks down he realizes he stepped on model train tracks. She's sort of OCD about them, its why she pays a bit more to Lucetta, so she can have her own room, rather then keep them in the comunal airea.Knows the setup intimately, can traverse the room even when exhausted and the room is dark.
>Mild body issues, is not fond the fact she has dat ass, and tends to dress in bulky clothing to hide the fact.

1. Lucetta is somewhat insane with the whole "God" thing after she was rejected by the church so many times. She acts individually in the name of God, recruiting homeless people to carry out her "will of the god". She refers herself as a priestess/servant of the god. She carries around a hard covered "holy book" --- the texts inside, however, are all written by her. Wears a chasity belt.

Can she be a troll then? She'd tease MC sexually all the time, but then show him the chastity belt and be like "oh, too bad".

I don't think this at all. I mean she just uses a chastity belt to avoid any temptation to sin. It's not like anyone here has a fetish for a chastity belt, I think it just fits her character. She is devoted to her religion, so it only makes sense that she would take these precautions.

The trolling idea works. Would not do anything, unless was hit on, and the trolling is punishment for "Impure thoughts".

Fanatic, but, SLIGHTLY unstable. You have to be a bit off to do something like this. It's nothing even close to yandere nonsense, or anything like that. But, to have such a drive, she's not fully playing with a full deck.

Those seem to be the basic stuff we DO agree on. Yes/No?

It would be nice to hammer some stuff out a bit harder.

その目、だれの目?

Shanker

Right. Just put your yay/nay's up, and as we get more we agree on, I'll keep the hard log of it, so we can keep that together.

Kureha

I should point out that you guys should nominate one of yourselves to mod status so you can clear the garbage when it gets posted as this board is guest enabled. As I probably can't be here all the time.
[url="https://ko-fi.com/chi_chan"]
[/url]

Kureha

Getting 404 links mugen, check your imageshack links
[url="https://ko-fi.com/chi_chan"]
[/url]

Anon2

damnantion, Anon2. You beat me to it. Was bringing that pic here.

Eh, I just post/edit in a pics in my posts since no one else seems to be doing it. But probably a pretty moot point as very few are actually registered to see them.

We ARE trying to fight the character jacking, and it's not gotten so bad. We have kept the two main females mainly on target.

Quick dump:

>Nina used to be a total weeaboo and made her own doujin, which were probably pretty well-drawn but were exactly what you'd expect from a twelve year old girl just getting into anime. She probably cooled down with the weeaboo tendencies, and for the most part does not admit to them, although if an obsuce joke is used, she might catch it and not be able to hold back a laugh. She's also held on to her old drawwings, and keeps them in her room. The protag can go to her apartment/other living space at some point and step on something before she flicks the lights on, and when he looks down he realizes he stepped on model train tracks. She's sort of OCD about them, its why she pays a bit more to Lucetta, so she can have her own room, rather then keep them in the comunal airea.Knows the setup intimately, can traverse the room even when exhausted and the room is dark.
>Mild body issues, is not fond the fact she has dat ass, and tends to dress in bulky clothing to hide the fact.

1. Lucetta is somewhat insane with the whole "God" thing after she was rejected by the church so many times. She acts individually in the name of God, recruiting homeless people to carry out her "will of the god". She refers herself as a priestess/servant of the god. She carries around a hard covered "holy book" --- the texts inside, however, are all written by her. Wears a chasity belt.

Can she be a troll then? She'd tease MC sexually all the time, but then show him the chastity belt and be like "oh, too bad".

I don't think this at all. I mean she just uses a chastity belt to avoid any temptation to sin. It's not like anyone here has a fetish for a chastity belt, I think it just fits her character. She is devoted to her religion, so it only makes sense that she would take these precautions.

The trolling idea works. Would not do anything, unless was hit on, and the trolling is punishment for "Impure thoughts".

Fanatic, but, SLIGHTLY unstable. You have to be a bit off to do something like this. It's nothing even close to yandere nonsense, or anything like that. But, to have such a drive, she's not fully playing with a full deck.

Those seem to be the basic stuff we DO agree on. Yes/No?

It would be nice to hammer some stuff out a bit harder.
I still don't quite understand how she ended up progressing towards a more troll-like/cuckoo status, but whatever, as long as the writefags can make it work. Speaking of which, where did they go? Been a bit quiet today.

I should point out that you guys should nominate one of yourselves to mod status so you can clear the garbage when it gets posted as this board is guest enabled. As I probably can't be here all the time.

I don't think it's gotten that bad, has it? Only saw maybe 3 troll posts at most. And it'll taper off anyways once the project picks up and is no longer being constantly "spammed" on /jp/. But if needed, I nominate anyone but mugen.

Anon2

I don't think it's gotten that bad, has it? Only saw maybe 3 troll posts at most. And it'll taper off anyways once the project picks up and is no longer being constantly "spammed" on /jp/. But if needed, I nominate anyone but mugen.
Lol!... OK... ;D

No offense or anything, but that would've been the surefire way to kill this project.

Sage

In the link above is the GUI sample of my upcoming game bundled with a sample script showcasing Renpy's in a full imagemap based GUI setting.
Please stop advertising yourself and the Renpy engine.

Shanker

I still don't quite understand how she ended up progressing towards a more troll-like/cuckoo status, but whatever, as long as the writefags can make it work. Speaking of which, where did they go? Been a bit quiet today.

The troll thing is only if someone is actively hitting on her, or expressing sexual interest in her. It's more of a punishment for impure thoughts.

Not really cuckoo, it's moreum...well, her faith is very strong, and she lacks much grounding in the real world. She might over-do it, and is still slightly upset about the church not ordaining her.

anon

Then may I humbly suggest you take a look at this...

Thanks mugen, the GUI doesn't look too bad.

その目、だれの目?

In the link above is the GUI sample of my upcoming game bundled with a sample script showcasing Renpy's in a full imagemap based GUI setting.
Please stop advertising yourself and the Renpy engine.

He's giving us advise based on his experience. Find something that would be more appropriate, be my guest. Shame you have 0 experience in making a visual novel, so that instantly makes your opinion not as important.

Shame you have 0 experience in making a visual novel, so that instantly makes your opinion not as important.
If you could prove that I have 0 experience in making a visual novel I'd be inclined to agree, but since you can't I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

Regardless this thread shouldn't be about me or Mugen.