News:

Although Kureha One is an international community, posts should be made in English. JP/CN/KR is only tolerated for topics where the original media was in JP/CN/KR.
Posting in other languages will result in account termination with extreme prejudice without notice.

Main Menu

MG's shenanigans

Started by Mana, December 24, 2010, 03:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mana

2 years after RapeLay's shitstorm, MG decided to pick up Mashou no Nie again and see if no one notices it. Seeing how such suggestive titles like "Suck My Dick or Die" didn't attract unwanted attention, I don't see why they delayed it's release for so long.

Feel free to drop other bits of info about what they're doing on this topic, so that it's not scattered on 5 or 10 different topics.

mahou

I doubt the 'troublesome' ppl will catch wind of it anyway. Unless someone goes out of their way to inform them. Not my kinda game anyway so if they do decide to drop it it's no skin off my back. Just hope MG don't get caught up in a shit storm with liquid titles.

Yossarian762

2 years after RapeLay's shitstorm, MG decided to pick up Mashou no Nie again and see if no one notices it. Seeing how such suggestive titles like "Suck My Dick or Die" didn't attract unwanted attention, I don't see why they delayed it's release for so long.

Feel free to drop other bits of info about what they're doing on this topic, so that it's not scattered on 5 or 10 different topics.

Probably part of it is that they claim their nukiges don't sell well vs their other games, so with DCIF, DC2, and Koihime all being released within the space of like, three months, plus Zaishuu coming out who-knows-when-but-the-translations-done...

Though speaking of that, they probably should retitle "Suck My Dick or Die" and maybe "My Sex Slave Is a Classmate" or something lol. Even if nobody would cause some media frenzy over them they're cumbersome titles.

e: kouryuu said the translation's p much done for Mashou no Nie I guess but I still assume part of the delay is again just because they'd rather focus on stuff they think would sell better. Not to mention putting out more "respectable" titles first helps their reputation which they could always use - it wasn't that long ago that people were shitting all over their translations and skeptical of trying their new releases due to them, and telling people "here try this game, it actually has a good translation! also its about raping bitches" probably isn't going to help that much.

Mana

Regarding the costs of releasing it, they already had most of the work done (but it was probably retranslated to keep up with their current standards), so the only reasoning behind the delay was that the companies who call the shots on MG were afraid of releasing it while they kept titles that could pull them into the same boat as the RapeLay fiasco.

It's just like Peter Payne saying that he won't mess around with lolicon while he has clearly underaged characters on several of JAST's current catalog and the characters even joke around the fact that it's a crime if they state the girl's age. RapeLay already had 2 years on the market before someone took notice of it's existence and it didn't stop anyone from pulling all that crap, so I don't get how he would be safe from someone scrutinizing his titles just by removing certain content from the new releases. When I asked that question to him on JAST's forums (on a thread were both him and another JAST representative were posting about the subject), an army of white knights interfered and I didn't get any answer.

tl;dr: Why are they worried with moralfags attacking them when their current catalogs can get them attacked for the same reasons?

Yossarian762

I'm not really claiming it's about "moralfags" though so either you're ignoring my post in favor of posting your own reasoning or misinterpreting it. I'm just saying, if MG had a bad reputation, releasing games like Kira Kira, DC, Higurashi etc, especially ones with animes of them and name recognition, will do more to restore their reputation than some nukige nobody's heard of.

Plus you could probably argue they simply want to space out their releases as well - if you release a bunch of games all in a very close space to each other it's harder to drum up interest, and sales, in any of them individually, and considering there's a very small market for English-language VNs, they may well reason their customers simply couldn't afford a bunch of games all at once.

And yeah I'm pretty sure they did say they were re-translating it up to current standards.

Mana

Way to put words into other people's mouths.

As for the argument about flooding the market with titles, it's just nonsense given how the next months will be filled with releases and there wasn't any proper release by MG besides Higurashi and Da Capo 2 during this entire year. I know that JAST was even worse in that sense, but if MG uses childish reasonings like "They are worse than us, so you should be grateful that we, at least, released this.", like I've seen Peter Payne do, it will be really bad for their image.

As for releasing known stuff to attract more sales (which is what they are doing right now, before going for their currently announced nukige or lesser known Circus' titles), it would make sense, if that title hadn't been actually released and removed from their catalog in a matter of days. People who bought it could still activate the DRM, but no one else had access to them. If it was only the matter of the lower quality translation, Edelweiss and Hinata Bokko would have suffered the same destiny.

Mana

MangaGamer yesterday announced Kotori Love ExP. It was officially announced through their mailing list and all that, and so it seems to be legit.

Kureha

I would be most unhappy if it's an April Fools stunt.
I love Kotori.
[url="https://ko-fi.com/chi_chan"]
[/url]

Khilandros

Cool, more Kotori! Looking forward to it.

laplacian

Mana

laplacian

Cute yandere imoutos always sell!

Kureha

Nemu? Yandere? I don't think so.
[url="https://ko-fi.com/chi_chan"]
[/url]

Mana

If she actually was yandere, maybe I could have liked her character.