News:

Although Kureha One is an international community, posts should be made in English. JP/CN/KR is only tolerated for topics where the original media was in JP/CN/KR.
Posting in other languages will result in account termination with extreme prejudice without notice.

Main Menu

/jp/ VN Project Thread - The Warehouse

Started by Anon2, April 21, 2010, 07:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JADF

Haha, no worry, I'll pick things up for you. I'm not a very good artist overall, but in terms of drawing girls/faces and editing, I'm a freaking god. I wouldn't say it's hopeless to reach that objective by the way; if you break it up like 5 sprite a day, that's not even a full week of work. When you done that, and I edit + make like 5 expressions for each sprite, we're pretty much done our role for the project (we just contributed 125 total sprites for the project!).

Especially after the summer holidays kick in I should have more time to spend on this project, but honestly I'm more concerned about the amount of motivation I have by then and after that. Also, I'm pretty sure I can't make 5 sprites per day (considering they are different aside from just the expressions).

But hey, today is Tuesday! I'll get to drawing my first sprite after my workday is over.

Shanker

Going to catch a nap, I was up all night on /tg/, we had three long ass touhou threads. KNEW I shoulda slept, but, when /tg/ get's it's butt in gear with that kinda thing, it's really fun. I'll catch you guys in a few hours.

anon

Do you happen to have any tips on drawing correctly proportioned and shaded figures from varied perspectives?  

Also, anyone who can do concepts or fanart to help with inspiration please do.

I would suggest you to take an existing picture of a real life person (nude or not, doesn't matter), and deconstruct it into building blocks, then take those blocks and rebuild it back into the picture. Just keep in mind how big each of those blocks are, and how they're linked. That'll give you the correct proportion/size as long you don't alter the perspective too much. Add flesh/meat according to the building blocks (note that the limps are not sticks, they curves out due to muscles). After that, add on clothes. Leave shading alone until you got the basic fundamental on the body. For fanart/concept of this project, go to http://kureha.no-ip.org/k1chan/o/res/39.html.

I was more thinking of a shortcut to drawing rather than visual and muscle memorization through practice. I also meant new concept and fant art, because starting a thread with old news is never as inspirational.

Kureha

so... anyone have an idea of what the MC looks like yet?
[url="https://ko-fi.com/chi_chan"]
[/url]

Messy Drawfriend

so... anyone have an idea of what the MC looks like yet?

Do we plan on showing the MC's face? If not, I suggest we just give him a worn out jean and worn out white t shirt (tons of stains and holes). He'll get more fashionable shirts/pants later in the story I guess?

Messy Drawfriend

I was more thinking of a shortcut to drawing rather than visual and muscle memorization through practice. I also meant new concept and fant art, because starting a thread with old news is never as inspirational.

JADF is making a new art (or sprite) for the new thread I think.

There isn't a real shortcut for "drawing"; random people don't just pick up a pencil one day and make a masterpiece - it takes years of studies/practices. If you really want to draw, get references. Find pictures (real or not, doesn't matter) that have similar pose as your ideal picture. Note their light source and shadows. Mimic it.

anon

An early preview of the warehouse itself. This is just the base structure itself and is still lacking the details like dirt map, support pillars, wear and tear and other little things. Do not worry, the final render will look like anime or hand drawn (Nearest example is Flyable Heart). The advantage of using 3D is we could reuse the same warehouse and have multiple scenes using different angles and accommodate changes easily whenever needed.

Flyable Heart is using the same technique... 3D + Photoshop overlay.

Upload it to the Warehouse thread on k1chan, http://kureha.no-ip.org/k1chan/ so that the rest of us can see it too.

Kureha

This is one of the reasons I don't like 3dCG, the exterior looks too boxy, and the roof should be flat if you're going to make the walls higher than the roof itself like in the picture below, If you want to have the angled roof like that you should have it overhang the walls, the way you have it the water has no where to go and the whole rusted roof will collapse under water weight, after reading some of the script, the windows don't really fit the windows described in the script. The thing with hand drawn cgs is that there are imperfections, like in real life, 3dcgs just scream out SHAPES and plastered repeating textures.

In the script the warehouse was pretty run down, so I was thinking of something like this (Courtesy of danbooru) The building itself should be very large because Lucetta doesn't have the cash to rent large complexex and for the amount of people in the story it doesn't make sense to have something huge.

[/url]

Messy Drawfriend

This is one of the reasons I don't like 3dCG, the exterior looks too boxy, and the roof should be flat if you're going to make the walls higher than the roof itself like in the picture below, If you want to have the angled roof like that you should have it overhang the walls, the way you have it the water has no where to go and the whole rusted roof will collapse under water weight, after reading some of the script, the windows don't really fit the windows described in the script. The thing with hand drawn cgs is that there are imperfections, like in real life, 3dcgs just scream out SHAPES and plastered repeating textures.

In the script the warehouse was pretty run down, so I was thinking of something like this (Courtesy of danbooru) The building itself should be very large because Lucetta doesn't have the cash to rent large complexex and for the amount of people in the story it doesn't make sense to have something huge.

Like Mugen said, we can put a layer on top of it with photoshop to make it less perfect/make it more. We're just using the 3D as a base. Give it to a good digital painter, it'd save half his time. I'd do it if I wasn't so lazy. The warehouse can be large, but it needs to be extremely old/run down, and probably in the middle of no where (maybe outside of the urban area/outskirt of the city).

JADF

Kureha

eh... why is the skirt long again now? The newer concept arts have a short skirt with a side slit right?
[/url]

JADF

eh... why is the skirt long again now? The newer concept arts have a short skirt with a side slit right?

Aw, crap. I forgot about that.

Messy Drawfriend

I thought it was medium/long with a side slit. What type of face style/color shading would be good? I can replicate most style that've been used by others in the fan art/concept art.

Edit: Also, I think the colors you used for the skin tone is a bit off. Try using eye dropper on the side profile picture and getting the two shades from it.

JADF

Edit: Also, I think the colors you used for the skin tone is a bit off. Try using eye dropper on the side profile picture and getting the two shades from it.

I think the colors are fine. On the contrary, the colors in the side profile picture look washed off. Are you sure your monitor color settings are correctly adjusted?

Messy Drawfriend

Maybe, I only run this laptop on 16 colors. The sprite is starting to look good, but there's still things to change.

You should've shown us the sketch before you line and color. It's a lot of work to correct sprites when you gotta be so clean and everything...