News:

Remember folks Kureha One hops IPs every 72hrs so try clearing your DNS if you can't find the page.

Main Menu

Tea's Discussions

Started by Green_Tea, May 31, 2010, 11:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green_Tea

blakraven66

So...since there's nothing better to talk about...

Let's talk about NNL vs. Minori round 3

Green_Tea

Still a bunch of faggots I see.

This enrages me: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/05/30/tlwiki-blocks-japanese-ips-from-site/

I like fan trans much more than I do real trans. Just look at the quality of actual English H-games and the difference is phenomenal. Besides which, Fan trans keep much of the culture and quality that many companies in the Western world would not keep, just because they're "doing a job" rather than chipping away at their soul to bring us these releases. Or well, I'm being overly dramatic, but this is ridiculous: "encourage professional publishers to localize certain projects".

Localization projects suck. Especially on a large scale; just look at efforts for localizing anime. They take our trust and what do they do with it? They spend it on Narutards and Bleach-fags. Besides which all that bullshit censoring with stuff they put on TV; eh, well it's not like any of us watched dubbed crap. Barely any worthwhile animashit is professionally localized, and have you read the manga's or Light Novels that are? The English in it is actually English. If I wanted to read English I'd go find a nice graphic novel, but no I want to read manga, and to me that pertains to a certain level of culture that present in the translation efforts at least. I don't want you to find alternative jokes to the ones in there, just because the humour is untranslatable; and how much of the unsaid or implicated conversation has to be cut out simple because they used a shitty euphemism or unmatching synonym?

That said, I hate the idea of our fan trans team getting kicked out of their job for making "real companies" feel insecure.

Like I said. Faggots;

or something.

invictus

Dang, things are getting worse.  At this rate, VN translation groups will fall... or need to go underground.

Mana

Nothing of value was lost... Most fan translations have been done underground or in some sort of barely known website. TLWiki has too much stuff concentrated on a single place, so it's easily known and an easy target. Besides stuff that never had any substantial progress, there wasn't a single dropped project from those removed from TLWiki.

Regarding localizations, leaving too much romanized text without providing translation notes, leaves a bad impression for someone who has little knowledge of the portrayed culture, and that would pretty much stagnate the income of new clients who aren't that knowledgeable. Reasonings like "but it's something really simple" don't work, since no one is forced to understand a foreign language that they came in contact with for a couple of times, at most. That's why you see English subtitles in American movies when someone is speaking another language to give realism to the scene or, even a sign in a book that informs the reader that there is further information about that subject on another part of the book, which helps someone uninformed to keep up with what's happening, while someone who knows about it, keeps reading.

Unfortunately, most companies take the easy way out and either leave too much romanized stuff or localize everything, even turning dialogues and scenes into stuff that doesn't make any sense, like Ar Tonelico II.

Kureha

Nothing of value was lost... Most fan translations have been done underground or in some sort of barely known website. TLWiki has too much stuff concentrated on a single place, so it's easily known and an easy target.

Hmmn maybe we're too concentrated in a single place too. lol...
[url="https://ko-fi.com/chi_chan"]
[/url]

Green_Tea

Naw, TLWiki were just filled with stupid people, or something. Too mainstream? More than possibly.

I'm pretty sure even people I knew in IRL knew about it, which just goes to show.

inferno_flamex

That said, I hate the idea of our fan trans team getting kicked out of their job for making "real companies" feel insecure.

They're getting kicked out?... not likely...
As long as there are people who love something enough to want to share it without profit or gain... There's always... 'Piracy'... in the words of the big wigs...

Dont you see? When you think about it... Even cosplayers are 'piraters'...

... but the 2nd half of your statement i agree.

Mana

Nothing of value was lost... Most fan translations have been done underground or in some sort of barely known website. TLWiki has too much stuff concentrated on a single place, so it's easily known and an easy target.

Hmmn maybe we're too concentrated in a single place too. lol...

If we're too concentrated, Hongfire would be like a nuclear weapons testing ground, lol. If a VN exists, it has passed through their boards.

Kureha

Yeah but hongfire doesn't handle the Engrish commercial games like we do.
[/url]

Mana

Yeah, western comercial releases aren't welcome around there.

Green_Tea

Huh, seriously. I never noticed that about HF.

But I seem to remember people saying there were RAW H-games? So what's the difference. Bunch of dicks everywhere.

laplacian

There's a massive ammount of raw games on Hongfire, either in torrent or direct dl form.
But I don't think eroge makes can do anything about it, as Hongfire operates quite clever; by not allowing any English games on their side, no company in the USA got a reason to bother fighting a courting battle with Hongfire, and a Japanese game studio would have to put enormous money reserves in a court process which is not a 100% win for them.
They can send as many letters as they want to hongfire, until one eroge company finally puts some serious funds into a court process in American and actually wins, Hongfire can't be touched.

Green_Tea

Ah. So that's why we're a sitting timebomb.

Kureha

We've already been detonated once, back when the url was gotdns... That's actually all they can do to this forum, we're not technically hosting anything illegal at all.
[/url]