News:

Official forum emails are from kouduki_sinon@yahoo.com.tw, but please don't send emails there, mostly likely you won't get a reply.

Main Menu

[VN] Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~

Started by Ivan, September 30, 2011, 10:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poiso

This is truly the game for those who featured in the infamous Sexy Losers strip. The guys who "masturbate to the map of Japan".

For the funny part of this is in how japanese view other countries. Infamous "There be dragons" part covering most of "how americans view the world"-map comes to mind.

Ivan

This is truly the game for those who featured in the infamous Sexy Losers strip. The guys who "masturbate to the map of Japan".
Actually i'm really suprised that they didn't buy some advertisments on megatokyo - this title fits it's audience perfectly, and they would get many sales over there.

Personally, i think mangagamers should hire a guy whose only job would be finding potential affiliates and advertisment opportunities(they really need to estabilish some small advertising budget - huge "anime" market is virtually untapped, and without it, they'll be stuck with "1000 copies sold breakthrough" bestsellers  for years - just compare it to jast who is present on almost every major website in niche).

Mana

That has been discussed to hell on /jp/, but they still don't get it.

Green_Tea

Yossarian762

...or laptop outlets/internet connectivity in trains made me constantly facepalm - writer should do some research, since we no longer live in caves outside glorious nippon.

Actually, my country doesn't have internet access on trains, so hearing about that sort of accessibility and convenience in other countries for the first time is kinda surprising to me. I guess it's hard when you want the protagonist to represent the player who could be from any country. I haven't touch the game yet, but do they specify where the protagonist is from?

Same. Hell, in most parts of America, like where I live, you could probably live your entire life without ever needing to ride a train at all. Mass transportation in general in America is pretty much non-existent, or total shit, outside of a few major cities, and on top of that it's seen as a lower class thing so it's not really streamlined or "feature rich." Those pre-paid cards? Yeah, we don't have them here either. The closest thing we have in my area are traditional bus passes, where you pay a set price and get to ride as much as you want for a week or month, and just wave them at the bus driver when you get on. They're not really economical unless you do a round trip literally every day 7 days a week though, and judging by what the game says, bus fares here are more expensive than the train fares to get around Tokyo to boot.

So, you might want to do some research on how other people live yourself, before getting all mad about the creators being condescending. And for what it's worth, I actually learned some new stuff out of this. I don't really know a lot about Japanese history, or regularly vicariously indulge fantasies of living in Japan via the internet and otaku culture, though.

Green_Tea

But America is pretty alone on that point...most modern countries have those passes, if that's what we're speaking about. And I don't know about you guys but we mostly use internet on our phones and mobile internet pluggies.

Yossarian762

Well, the game is made for the English speaking/reading audience generally, Europeans and Americans both. Due to the diversity of that audience, it's pretty much inevitable that there will be some things in the game that it would highlight that will have some people going "well what's so special about that?" whereas to others it actually would be something that Japan has that their own culture doesn't.

From another angle, I think we should at least give this game the benefit of the doubt even if it is a little condescending sometimes, because it is the first VN made by a Japanese company exclusively for an English speaking audience - basically, their hearts are in the right place. Even if it's not perfect, I think it's still a gesture of goodwill to Western VN fans and it shouldn't be angrily thrown back in their faces.

Yagami

It's the 1° VN exclusive for the overseas market,and that's so matter now u.u
Stop with those babbling thoughts and enjoy it XD

Green_Tea

That being said, I don't understand why there should be a difference in the first place. I like Visual Novels precisely because they're not marketed towards Westerners. Well, maybe it'll be good. I should at least try it for being groundbreaking.

Ivan

And I don't know about you guys but we mostly use internet on our phones and mobile internet pluggies.
Wireless internet from cellphones tend to lose packets often when you're moving at faster speeds. Mine times out sometimes at 60km/h and becomes completely unusable at 100km/h

Yossarian762

That being said, I don't understand why there should be a difference in the first place. I like Visual Novels precisely because they're not marketed towards Westerners. Well, maybe it'll be good. I should at least try it for being groundbreaking.

Other than the virtual Tokyo tour in VN format it's a pretty generic moe-game, albeit heavily compressed. It's not bad if you like that sort of thing I guess but it is a budget game (it's only like 10 euros/~$13).

Green_Tea

And I don't know about you guys but we mostly use internet on our phones and mobile internet pluggies.
Wireless internet from cellphones tend to lose packets often when you're moving at faster speeds. Mine times out sometimes at 60km/h and becomes completely unusable at 100km/h

Never had that problem except underground. D=

Then again I don't really travel by car all that often.

molitar

Their was some interesting information in the game.. some cool information.. but the game was too short.. it's suppose to be like a tour of japan game.. but you got about a paragraph of one area and it was over.  Too short the potential was their but they threw it away.. a full day of touring should take a while not 5 minutes and it's over and bye..

poiso

This is only in case you have a really bad implementation, or really bad coverage of wireless network or you're far outside metropolitan area. Modern 3g networks have substation hopping down to an art, and it shouldn't cause anything more then minimal slowdowns at those speeds. With some luck, you can actually have a data transfer from a flying JET PLANE over a modern 3g network due to signal amplification from the ground in right weather conditions.

Additionally in most modern countries companies install a 2g/3g signal amplifier in the train itself if it's designed to travel fast enough, which is usually around >150km/h (note: country dependent) cruise speed as then it starts to become harsh even on well designed network to maintain stable speeds outside metropolitan areas. But that's because outside metropolitan areas, you essentially have a single substation with no fall-back path in much of area.

memike123

ummm...got any english walkthrough for this game?.